Saturday, January 03, 2009

my twelve loves of christmas, number 1


my christmas card door!!! few things make me more excited than posting my christmas cards on the door in my living room. especially christmas letters. the longer and more detail oriented the better. (except for the one time i read about sister X's decision to finally stop breastfeeding after nearly 17 straight years. different children, of course. breastfeeding a 17 year-old would take forever.) i take great pleasure in reading the 7 page, 10 point font discourse of your family activities from the past year. seriously. i experience unreal glee as i tape the letter with the *gasp* picture card next to it onto my door. what did we do before picture cards??? sometimes when the kids are asleep and i am enjoying the glow from the christmas tree and a hothothot cup of cocoa in my 54 oz mug, i will wander over to the door and stare. i'll reread your funny witticisms and take notes of ideas that i will steal from your letters so that i may covertly slip them into my letter for next year. i'll rearrange the cards for a more aesthetically pleasing layout. occasionally, i will shed a tear. christmas is a truly magical time of year. and it makes me rhyme without even trying. thomas usually has to ask me to take the card display down. by march the cards are drooping and many of you have already added more children to your flock. and then i start anticipating next years cards.

3 comments:

Nicole Bolinger said...

what a good idea. This year I had no idea what to do with the cards...so I am gonna have to steal that idea for next year. I too love Christmas cards. I can't wait for the mailman to come during the second half of December!;)

Steph said...

I knew I liked you!

I do the EXACT same thing (well maybe minus the 52oz hot chocolate, I think mine is only like 32oz...)

This is also the LAST Christmas "decoration" to come down each year, often surviving up to one week after all the other stuff has been bansihed to it's respective tote...

Love it!

Merilee said...

Heidi- I recently heard you had a hilarious blog I needed to check out. So I did it. I am not sorry. Not in the least. I am a fan. A big one.