Sunday, March 28, 2010
Friday, March 26, 2010
here's the breakdown:
i enjoyed lots of time with the fam. we even took a 3 generations scarf picture with grandma bonnie, sandy and myself.
since we were in vegas, we did things vegas style. el pollo loco for dinner.(not that great). my dad and grandma got cut off in the picture, lucky for them. the rest of us are looking pretty rough after a day of travel. incidentally, i could NOT get that lame katy perry, "that's what you get for waking up in vegas" song out of my head. it was almost becoming a threat. that's what i get for waking up in vegas? a cracked face? squished in a van? mediocre mexican food? is that what she's singing about? and furthermore, call me a prude, but there is a TON of almost nudity on the billboards out there. it was like flipping through a plastic surgeon's catalog. my eyes were assaulted! it was almost a relief to see the carrot top billboards. almost.
that night, heather, linz, heather's BFFFFF and i had a sleepover. linz revealed what she looks like without makeup.
we all slept in the same full size bed. a giant spoon fest. with no HEAT(HEATHER!). that's what you get for waking up in vegas. if one person moved, we all had to move. and el pollo loco didn't sit well all night. (do gas jokes ever get old for you? me neither!)
linz topped off the meal with a travel size edition of trivial pursuit. i didn't know they made those. (my birthday is coming up soon. )and i performed exceedingly well, natch! i was almost a perfect meal. now THAT'S what you get for waking up in vegas.
i had never considered las vegas to be one of the "pretty" temples, but !WOW! ay carumba! it was amazing! with grass and everything. an oasis in the desert!
daniel had to restrain heather from snorking down the whole cake. not really. they tastefully fed each other cake like civilized adults. it may surprise you that i do not enjoy watching people smash cake in each other faces. that's seems right up my alley, right? destruction and food? but no, it bothers me to no end. cake in the hair and messing up your professional make-up job? no gracias.
and the highly outnumbered beck women. we are small in number, but strong in spirit. expert at listening to and cutting through bloviating and bluster.
Thursday, March 25, 2010
i was able to put together a VERY last minute musical number with my dear jessica for church. i think we played the song 4 times total, including performance.
i may miss practicing my violin with my dear jessica. that's what nerds like us do on a friday night. at someone else's house. growing up it always bugged me when people would come to my house and want to play our piano. that was the last thing i wanted to do. that was torture. so i am sure that it is doubly worse when you do it as an adult and there are two violins screeching away. i screeched, jessica played with the skill of someone who actually learned theory. i thought theory was for the birds. 4 beats per measure in 4/4 time, what? trip-ple-let, trip-ple-let, trip-ple-let(anyone? anyone?)
check out the concentration. thank goodness i had high school orchestra to keep me out of trouble.
i'm glad that i won't miss this guy anymore since he will have more free time with his new job.
as i was packing up, i was in the depths of despair(name the book). then one day a prize that i had won via a fantastic blog in the mail came. it was tailored to me. it was a shining beacon in a dark night of sorrow. tender blog friend mercies.
i won't miss my kitchen looking like this:
but i'm sure as reagan was the greatest president of the 20th century, i WILL NOT MISS this:
and word to the WISE. don't be like me and stick your finger in a clorox wipes container when half your ward is at your house loading your truck. it hurts like you-know-whatski and it's quite embarassing when your finger has to be freed by the local herpatologist's pocket knife. i shall never mock snake love again.
and i will most definitely miss this ol' place and everything that it represents; my inability to paint well, perfecting my spackling and sanding skilz, my fantastic closet that went on forever, my great friends who lived in close proximity, my callings in our ward, especially passing notes in primary about clothes, my running trails that all originated here, playing in our backyard with sidewalk chalk, hiding and seeking in the kid's bathroom closet, falling down a whole flight of stairs while holding a baby, teaching reagan to pedal on these sidewalks. the list goes on and on.
Saturday, March 20, 2010
ebony and ivory, live together in perfect harmony.
side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why don't we?
*photos borrowed without permission from my SIL sarah.
*and yes, that is a bump-it in my hair.
*and people have actually asked if heather and i are twins. seriously?
and happy birthday uncle bonecrusher!
things i like about marky mark
1. he's a nice guy. a really nice guy.
2. he does what's right. because he likes righteousness.
3. a GREAT shopper and dresser. one of my fave partners. always on the lookout for a bargain. and doesn't mind wearing thrift store gems.
4. low drama.
5. my kids LOVE him. and he likes my kids.
6. he drove from rexburg to KC with no radio and no cd player once. he's a maniac.
7. he got a speeding ticket on the way to church because he didn't want to be late for teaching his lesson on the blessings of temple attendance.
8. loves the royals and the chiefs. not a fair weather fan.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
things of note-
1. i can't find my download cord for pictures(anybody remember seeing it anywhere? it was wrapped around the newel post in my upstairs hallway. isn't that where you keep electronics?). and i have some GREAT pictures. some beauties. visualize my pointer finger stuck in the lid of a jumbo package of clorox wipes. just. you. wait.
2. same goes for my phone charger. i can only charge in the car. and that's why you haven't heard anything from me.
3. i drove ALL. THE. WAY. from kansas city to birmingham. and i didn't fall asleep once. and roadhouse(the BEST patrick swayze movie EVAH!) was playing at the hotel to make me feel at home.
4. my new house(that we are only renting THANKFULLY) has paint that is worse than i thought possible. it's like the olive garden hooked it up with sherwin williams and their baby exploded. other than that, the house is perjfect. very well maintained crazy.
5. the things at wal*mart that drove me nuts in KC still bug me just as much in birmingham.
6. we went without cable and internet for over 2 weeks. it was really nice. really nice. i forgot what day it was several times. and now i have over 500 posts to get updated on in my blog reader.
7. i spent so much time unpacking and getting things ready around the house that i found myself belching and doing other unseemly things in public. i forgot what it was like to be around other people. and when i was finally around other adults, i was like a homeschooled kid at her first day of public school. I COULDN'T STOP TALKING TO SAVE MY LIFE.
8. alabamians love talk radio.
9. i owe my life to members of my old ward. especially melinda and steph. we could not have done this move without their help. i thought i had things under control. i was wrong. i am utterly humbled and i feel like i have misunderstood my entire life what true service is. thank you.