Sunday, January 27, 2013

from the mouths of babes


scarlett had a couple of really awesome moments this week. 

1. we were conversing at the dinner table about playing with her friends and she asked me, "do i need to get skinny?" my internal mom-o-meter is flipping out but i try and remain calm and collected(like i am naturally) so i can get more information out of her before i go ballistic on whichever of her little friends planted this ridiculous idea in her head. i asked her, "who told you that?" her response was that a neighbor girl who has been a bit of a toxic friend in the past had stated that they both needed to work on "getting skinny". i'm gripping the table with white knuckles to keep myself from running across the street and telling off this little 6 year old but i asked, "so what did you say to her?" 
scarlett's response? "i told her that God made me this way and that i am perfect just the way i am." 

2. today scarlett kept telling me that she wanted to talk into the microphone at church. she said she had a testimony that she wanted to share. so, i figure, after everyone leaves we'll go back into the chapel, turn on the microphone and she can say whatever she wants. no harm, no foul. she was really, really nervous but she walked up to mic and said, "i want to bear my testimony. i was riding my bike and i was scared to go down the hill so i thought about Jesus and then i knew i could go down the hill. in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

so, at 5, she's way more mature than me. i'm taking the rest of the year off from parenting.

and i made these matching skirts because they don't know how dorky this is yet. 


3 comments:

Jessica said...

wow! that is awesome! job well done. isn't it nice to know that kids actually DO learn what we're trying to teach them sometimes? and for the record, those skirts are the bomb. did you make a matching mother skirt, too? because that TOTALLY needs to happen. hahaha.

HJolley said...

And how about a matching auntie skirt? for the reunion??!?!

she is such a great girl. miss our cheerleading trampoline routines!

Ashley said...

This is one of my most feared conversations with Bri. Scarlett's response literally brought tears to my eyes. Well done, and I hope I can help instill the same sense of confidence and knowledge in Bri.