Saturday, April 29, 2006

you say it's your birthday, na na na na nah na

the 28th was my 26th birthday. i was really struggling to come to terms with this new milestone and i decided that i am going to just be 25 twice. my 25th year went by so quickly that i am hoping by next october i will be more content with being 26. there is no rush here. as long as i am not that old woman shopping at the teeny bopper stores i will be okay. someone make an intervention for me if i still think express clothing is a good idea in 10 years.
thomas planned a fun filled day for me. every other year since we have been known each other, thomas has had a final or some major event keeping him from celebrating my birthday on the 28th. because of this thomas made a special effort pack the day full of fun things for us to do.
first, thomas made delicious belgian waffles for me. after breakfast i took meatball out for his morning trot and i noticed thomas's first surprise. he had a blimp fly over our house. JUST FOR ME! he is so clever!
for lunch we had a kitchen cookout and we traveled over to the pool for an hour of enjoyment and sunsoaking. this was a REALLY big deal for me since thomas is not a pool person. the sacrifices he has made for my happiness....
later we drove up to the birmingham galleria for an evening of shopping and dining. i was able to procure my dress for thomas' graduation and a FABULOUS hot pink skull t-shirt. does it get better than that???
we ate dinner at a fun outdoor italian restaurant. we ate on the balconey and talked about how bad all the drivers below us were. and those darn teenagers! walking down the middle of the road and holding up traffic. they were being so loud and obnoxious and the boys were dressed like slobs and the girls like trash. up to no good i'm sure. where's my sweater? and my cane? i need to take my fiber supplement, turn down that loud music you hoodlums...after that conversation, thomas and i realized that we are old. old old old. complaining about teenagers and bad drivers. the next thing you know i will be wearing a housecoat everywhere and eating dinner at 4pm at denny's. thomas will have hair coming out of his ears and will sleep with his teeth in a jar by the bed. not a pretty site. happy birthday to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi,

I kept telling myself on Friday to email you and wish you a happy birthday but, alas, these punk students kept distracting me. So HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY. I am SO SO excited to have yall here in a couple of weeks! Tell Thomas congrats on graduating and you look so cute in all your pictures...how do you manage to do that?

Paula

heidi said...

o pauly wally. you always say the nicest things. let's start planning fun things that we are going to do this summer. like singing in the car with the windows rolled up. i know you like that.

heidi said...

and thanks for putting up with the punk students. i know that is tough. that's why i didn't finish the education program.

Emily C said...

paula, and heidi... i am jealous already of all the fun you will have this summer together!!! i wish i was close!!! boo whoo!!

Emily C said...

paula, and heidi... i am jealous already of all the fun you will have this summer together!!! i wish i was close!!! boo whoo!!

Anonymous said...

That's funny Heidi, just the other day, a friend and I were complaining about punk teenage drivers. She's only 21, and I am a mere 22, but alas, I feel old, old, old. I think being a nice Mormon girl makes me feel older than I should. Anyway, I hate that you are moving. Who am I going to avoid visiting teaching with now? I hope you will be as happy where you are going. Thanks for visiting me in the hospital, I'm sorry I was not awake to enjoy your company. Be careful.

Ashley Jones