Tuesday, March 06, 2018

toddler for sale

each morning while i do my hair and makeup, i listen to conference talks. the average conference talk is about 10-15 minutes long so it takes one talk for my makeup and one talk while i do my hair. today i was fortunate enough to be able to hear elder utchdorf's talk entitled, "grateful in an circumstances". i reflected upon the talk for a good while. it's chock full of good information and encouragement. i mentally pinned this talk in my head for future reference, you know, the next time something stressful happened to me. which was not going to be today.

after i had gotten reagan dropped off at school and herschel and i suffered through story time at the library, i made a pit stop at home to grab a quick lunch for herschel. it was raining pretty steadily, but i simply pulled my jacket over my head and braved the elements from my car to the kitchen, about 5 feet. upon my return with hersch's lunch, i discovered that herschel had somehow triggered the locking mechanism to my car and had secured himself inside, all while the engine was running and he was strapped into his car seat. i honestly don't know how he accomplished the feat. my guess is he attempted to open his door and the automatic child safety locks kicked in. naturally, when i purchased this car last year, there was only one key fob from the dealership and it would cost around $500 to have a new one made. sounds like a racket if you ask me. frankly, i hope to expand my business into this cash cow of a racket. 

 during this moment of unexpected stress, i couldn't help but reflect upon elder utchdorf's talk. how could i have gratitude in this trying moment? what could i be grateful for? i'm standing in a thunderstorm, locked out of my running vehicle with my three year old inside, who is making very feeble attempts to pull up the door locks and smiling and laughing all the while. i was late to lunch at a really good restaurant with really good friend, paula. i only had one key and it was INSIDE the car with my purse and my phone. 

but, i was also being blessed. 
1. i was able to go in to the house. i go to the bathroom every 13 minutes and standing in the rain only exacerbated this need. i'm grateful i could go to the bathroom at my leisure.
2. after i went to the facilities, i grabbed my tablet and emailed paula the situation so she would't be completely inconvenienced by my mysterious disappearance. i'm grateful i still had internet access and an understanding friend.
3. my neighbor was home and i was able to use her phone to call thomas. he didn't have a key either, but he's pretty good at jimmy rigging car doors with coat hangers and he's just nice to have around in a pinch. plus, herschel likes him more than herschel likes me. i'm grateful my neighbor was home that day and for a husband who springs into action.
4. after a few minutes the lightning stopped and it was just a constant downpour. i didn't feel like death was upon me anymore. i'm grateful i wasn't struck by lightning.
5. i was hungry so i ate 4 oranges from the kitchen. i'm grateful i was able to quickly grab food.
6. hersch was smiling and laughing or pretending to take a nap during his confinement. this proved to be a much better than the alternative of screaming hysterically. which i only did for a few minutes and i only said one swear word. sorry, mom. it wasn't crumb balls. i'm grateful that rotten child was in good spirits even if his attempts to unlock the door were feeble at best.
7. after about 2 hours of trying various methods to unlock the car, we called a lock smith. he arrived within 10 minutes and in the BLINK OF AN EYE got the door open. and refused payment. he was incredibly good-natured about this ridiculous situation he was dragged into. i'm grateful for people with business policies of unlocking cars at no charge when there is a child involved. it was truly a tender mercy. 

today could have been much worse and i'm sure is not the worst thing i'll even have to deal with by a long shot. i'm glad i have today in my book of experiences so i can reflect upon my blessings and have gratitude in all situations. 

5 comments:

Emily C said...

So first of all, like I always say, I surely love your humor and writing style. And also that you record (and share) these daily moments. But secondly, and even more importantly, how gratitude amongst a trying trial seems to make all the difference. Perspective and gratitude is the lesson I’ve learned/been reminded of, by you sharing this experience.

Emily C said...

... at this rate... be prepared to give a conference talk in the near future! Hehehehehe

HJolley said...

Well put! Especially about being able to go to the bathroom. Feeling panicky WHILE dancing around because you have to go to the bathroom sounds like the worst combo ever. Glad it worked out.

Jessica said...

this is exactly what i needed to read this morning. i've been stressed out of my mind this week with getting the house ready to sell and having a toddler underfoot. i actually did have a mental shutdown on wednesday and was so grateful that scott was willing and able to come home from work midday to help me with house stuff. he was quite literally an answer to my prayers that morning that i'd be able to find someone to help me that day.

Lindsey said...

I am grateful for your blog. I am grateful Hersch was okay. I am grateful for you.